Although we may not be aware of it, the influence of the Building Regulations is around us all of the time.
In our homes building regulations affect and control the:
• size and method of construction of foundations, walls (both internal and external), floors, roofs and chimneys
• size and position of stairs, room exits, corridors and external doors • number, position, size and form of construction of windows and external doors
(including glazing) • methods for disposing of solid waste • design, construction and use of the services such as:
◦ above and below ground foul drainage taking the waste from kitchen and bathroom appliances (including the design and siting of the appliances themselves)
◦ rainwater disposal systems including gutters and downpipes from roofs and drainage from paths and paving
◦ electrical installations ◦ heating and hot water installations using gas, oil or solid fuel ◦ fire detection and alarm systems ◦ mechanical ventilation systems
• design and construction of the paths outside the house that: ◦ lead to the main entrance, and ◦ are used to access the place where refuse is stored.