Atmospheric Processes and Systems presents a concise introduction to the atmosphere and the fundamentals of weather. Examining different aspects of the mass, energy and circulation systems in the atmosphere, this text provides detailed accounts of specific phenomena, including
* the composition and structure of the atmosphere
* energy transfers
* the cycle of atmospheric water in terms of evaporation, condensation and precipitation
* pressure and winds at the primary or global scale
* secondary air masses and fronts
* thermal differences and weather disturbances.
The text includes sixteen boxed case studies, annotated further reading lists and a glossary of key terms.