DISCOVERY AND PREVIOUS STUDY OF THE BOUNDARY STELAE
The practice of identifying the stelae in the was begun by W. M. Flinders Petrie in 1892 to allow for the possibility that more of them might be found. Only one additional site - Stela X, at the extreme north end of the eastern side - was discovered in the years between Petrie's publication and the editio princeps of all the known stelae which Davies issued in 1908. The "colophon" text, which is also dated in year 8, follows the "repetition" on Stelae A and B and reconfirms the earlier enactment on the occasion of the "establishment" of the monuments on the western side of the Nile. Davies' own account of the boundary stelae appeared in the fifth volume of his series on The Rock Tombs of El-Amarna. Students of the Amarna Period had a comprehensive text edition of the boundary stelae, along with modern translations supplied in collaboration with Francis Llewellyn Griffith.