The Code of Practice on the Identification and Assessment of Special Educational Needs has significantly changed the way in which schools assess and provide for pupils with special needs.
The various chapters of the book cover:
* recent legislation
* the needs of children with different types of special needs
* school policy and the whole school approach
* approaches to the National Curriculum
* possible ways of organising for special educational needs
* the role of the special needs co-ordinator
* the role of the class teacher
* assessment and record keeping
* working with parents
* staff development
* support services
Written with the needs of primary school teachers and heads in mind, this book addresses the implications which the Code of Practice has for primary schools, focusing in particular on these issues from the management point of view.