A hugely beneficial introduction to students and professionals in print media and design, Designing for Newspapers and Magazines offers guidance on how to produce attractive publications and how to tailor them to their target audience using colour, text placement, typography and images.
Written by an experienced journalist and designer, the book details the elements of good design and provides instruction on how to get the most of computers and computer-aided design.
The book examines a broad range of local and national publications including The Sun, The Daily Mirror and Glamour magazine and explains the reasoning that underpins their design choice, including:
- how to set up a new publication
- planning an edition of a newspaper or magazine
- typography and working with text
- working with images and technical production
- designing pages and how to use colour
- design and journalism ethics
- a glossary of journalistic and design terms