This fully updated second edition includes anew introduction, a wide range of new entries (reflecting developments in linguistics since the book's original release) and added specialized further reading for lecturers and more advanced students.
A comprehensive and critical A-Z guide to the main terms and concepts used in the study of language and linguistics, definitions featured include:
- terms used in grammatical analysis
- branches of linguistics from semantics to neurolinguistics
- approaches used in studying language from critical discourse analysis to systemic linguistics
- linguistic phenomena from code-switching to conversational implicature
- language varieties from pidgin to standard language.