chapter
17 Pages

Introduction

WithJohn T. Gilmore

In 1682, Louis XIV (king of France, 1643–1715) granted his official patronage to the leading Jesuit educational establishment in his country, and the Jesuits removed the old name, “Collegium Claromontanum societatis Jesu”, from the façade and replaced it with “Collège de Louis-le-Grand”. Soon afterwards, it was found that someone had attached a Latin couplet to the main gate: