This is a welcome new edition of this bestselling textbook. It provides a clear, accessible and readable introduction to Japanese society which does not require any previous knowledge of the country. Fully updated, revised and expanded, the 3rd edition contains new material on:
· the effects of the Asian crisis and recession in Japan
· the emergence of the millennial cults such as the Aum Shinrikyo
· major advances in sport and leisure such as the 2002 World Cup and the amazing global cultural success of Pokemon and Japanese animation and computer games
· the tumultuous changes of the Japanese ruling elite
· the Ainu and other Japanese minorities
· debates about the future of the Japanese constitution and the resurgence of nationalism and militarism.