The internationally-recognized inverted ‘G’ logo designates a family dynasty whose name was once synonymous with Italian fashion. Guccio Gucci, who learned about style and aesthetic sophistication in Paris and London, returned to Italy and opened the first Gucci leather goods shop in Florence in 1920. By the 1940s Gucci shops had sprung up in most major Italian cities. Guccio, patriarch and artisan, bequeathed his business to his five sons in 1953. With that passage came international expansion, with stores opening in New York, Great Britain, France, Hong Kong and Japan. Along with expansion came diversification into shoes, silk scarves, ties, leather clothing, bamboo-handle handbags and watches. In the late 1960s the Gucci logo became a status symbol appealing to celebrities such as Audrey Hepburn and Jackie Onassis.