Evolution: The Basics is an engaging introduction to the history, development and science of the theory of evolution. Beginning pre-Darwin and concluding with the latest research and controversies, readers are introduced to the origins of the idea of evolution, the ways in which it has developed and been adapted over time and the science underpinning it all. Topics addressed include:
• early theories of evolution
• the impact of Darwin’s On the Origin of Species
• the discovery of genetics and Mendel’s experiments
• molecular evolution and the discovery of DNA
• the expansion of life and the persistence of disease
• revisiting evolutionary ethics and the development of empathy.
Evolution: The Basics examines the role of evolution in current debates and discusses the possible future developments in the field. This book is invaluable reading for all students and individuals seeking to understand the wide ranging sphere of evolutionary theory.