Creative Approaches to Poetry for the Primary Framework for Literacy supports teachers in planning, teaching and, most importantly, enjoying poetry with their pupils. With an emphasis on creative, cross curricular approaches the authors explore tried and tested methods of teaching poetry in an engaging and comprehensive manner. A carefully considered range of poems has been included in order to expand children’s repertoires in a variety of poetic forms.
- how to develop a range of creative approaches to teaching poetry, involving visualisation, drama, choral speaking, performance, discussion and writing
- how to engage children from a variety of backgrounds and abilities in experiencing poetry in its many forms
- integrating the teaching of poetry with all other areas of the curriculum including ICT and citizenship
- effectively linking all work to the KS1 poetry units of the renewed Primary National Framework for Literacy
- an innovative model that takes children on a journey beginning before they meet the poem through to becoming poets themselves.
This accessible and user-friendly book includes informative case studies, photographs and children’s work to demonstrate alternative routes to working with poetry. It will prove an invaluable resource for all primary teachers seeking to employ progressive and effective strategies in the teaching of poetry.