ST. JAMES THEATRE · 246 W. 44th Street. Architect: Warren and Wetmore-F. Richard Anderson. Opening: September 26, 1927; Th e Merry Malones. In 1929, Abraham Erlanger, head of the monopolistic Th eatrical Syndicate and among the most hated men in show business, built the Erlanger’s Th eatre as the ﬂ agship of his nationwide chain. He chose 44th Street as a statement against his rivals, the Shuberts, who had several theaters on 44th Street.