Thousands of people continue to die from heat. Heat illnesses and advice for preventing heat casualties at work, during heatwaves, sport and the effects of global warming are described. A new perspective on thermoregulation integrates physiological and psychophysical regulated variables. Heat stress indices, the WBGT and the SWreq are presented. It is time to understand and routinely use computer simulations of people in hot conditions. How to understand how a model can be constructed is also described.
This book provides an accessible, concise and comprehensive coverage into how people respond to heat and how to predict and avoid heat causalities. A practical productivity model, and Burn thresholds, complete the book which begins with up to date knowledge on measurement of heat stress, heat strain, metabolic rate and the thermal properties and influences of clothing.
- Provides methods and regulations through international standards
- Illustrates the WBGT and analytical heat stress indices and how to construct a thermal model
- Discusses the role of clothing on heat stress and thermal strain
- Presents a new model for predicting productivity in the heat
- Offers a new method of human thermoregulation
- Considers heat illness and prevention during heatwaves and in global warming