Ecole De Chirurgie, Paris: Anatomy Theatre
The School of Surgery in Paris opened in 1774. It is most famous for its hemispherical amphitheatre, where anatomical dissections and lectures took place. This was designed by Jacques Gondouin, a French architect and designer. It could seat up to 1200 people and was open to members of the public as well as medical students. The school helped cement the reputation of Paris as a centre of excellence in medical education. The standard set was seen as a goal for other schools to aspire to: According to William Hunter, ‘Gentlemen may have an opportunity of learning the art of dissecting during the whole winter season, in the same manner as at Paris’ ( 2 ).