In this chapter, we will examine six cases involving cop-killers aged fifty to fifty-four. The cases include:
• Charles Smith, who killed an officer during a warrant service operation at his home
• Mark Hasty, who killed an officer during a warrant service operation at his home
• Randall Newberry, who set up a sniper’s nest in the woods and fired on police who responded to investigate
• Kevin Randleman, who murdered an officer who stopped him for riding a bicycle at night without a headlight
• Jeffrey Krier, who killed an officer during a delusional episode of mental illness
• Stephen Bannister, who killed an officer investigating a domestic disturbance
After a steady decline in the number of offenders aged thirty to forty-nine, the offenders in this group demonstrate a surprising increase in the number of offenders of mature age.