As global populations continue to increase, the application of biotechnological processes for disposal and control of waste has gained importance in recent years. Advances in Waste-to-Energy Technologies presents the latest developments in the areas of solid waste management, Waste-to-Energy (WTE) technologies, biotechnological approaches, and their global challenges. It combines biotechnological procedures, sophisticated modeling, and techno-economic analysis of waste, and examines the current need for the maximum recovery of energy from wastes as well as the associated biotechnological and environmental impacts.
- Presents numerous waste management practices and methods to recover resources from waste using the best biotechnological approaches available.
- Addresses the challenges, management, and policy issues of waste management and WTE initiatives.
- Includes practical case studies from around the world.
- Serves as a useful resource for professionals and students involved in cross-disciplinary and trans-disciplinary research programs and related courses.
- Discusses the economic and regulatory contexts for managing waste.
This book will serve as a valuable reference for researchers, academicians, municipal authorities, government bodies, waste managers, building engineers, and environmental consultants requiring an understanding of waste management and the latest WTE technologies.
1. Solid waste: Characterization, Assessment, Monitoring, and Remediation. 2. Issues and Challenges in Sustainable Solid Waste Management: Global and Asian Perspective. 3. Cairo's Zabaleen Garbage Collectors: Sustainable Practices and the Right to Waste Resources. 4. Municipal Solid Waste Management in Two Cities of Palestine: A Comparative Study. 5. 3E ( Energy, Economic, and Environmental) Analysis of Waste Management Strategies. 6. Biological Treatment of Waste: An Overview. 7. Biological Systems of Waste Management and Treatment. 8. Biogas Potential From Cabbage and Lettuce Residuals: Effect of Organic Load and Co-digestion. 9. Hydrothermal Liquefaction: A Sustainable Solution to the Sewage Sludge Disposal Problem. 10. GIS Spatial Distribution of Industrial Hazardous Wastes: A Case Study from Hebron City, Palestine. 11. Opportunities for Sustainable Energy Future by Integrating Biotechnological Approaches. 12. Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) Approach to Evaluate Different Waste Management Opportunities. 13. Life cycle Assessment: Methods and Opportunities. 14. LCA of a Representative Municipal Effluent Treatment Plant: Comparative Evaluation of Activated Sludge Versus Membrane Bio-reactor Processes. 15. Composting and Anaerobic Digestion of Organic Urban Waste: A Systematic Literature Review of Life Cycle Assessment Case Studies.