The Estimator’s Pocket Book, Second Edition is a concise and practical reference covering the main pricing approaches, as well as useful information such as how to process sub-contractor quotations, tender settlement and adjudication. It is fully up to date with NRM2 throughout, features a look ahead to NRM3 and describes the implications of BIM for estimators.
It includes instructions on how to handle:
- the NRM order of cost estimate;
- unit-rate pricing for different trades;
- pro-rata pricing and dayworks;
- builders’ quantities;
- approximate quantities.
Worked examples show how each of these techniques should be carried out in clear, easy-to-follow steps. This is the indispensable estimating reference for all quantity surveyors, cost managers, project managers and anybody else with estimating responsibilities. Particular attention is given to NRM2, but the overall focus is on the core estimating skills needed in practice. Updates to this edition include a greater reference to BIM, an update on the current state of the construction industry as well as up-to-date wage rates, legislative changes and guidance notes.
1. Approaches to pricing
- Resource estimating
- Operational estimating / pricing civil engineering works / method related charges
2. Early cost advice
4. Unit-rate pricing
- Building up unit rates for a number of items for the following NRM2 sections;
- Excavation & Filling
- In-situ Concrete Works
- Sheet roof coverings
- Tile and slate roof coverings
- Above ground
- Below ground
- Soft landscaping
5. Tender settlement/adjudication
6. The supply chain
7. Applied estimating