Potentials and Prospects
Potentials and Prospects
Focusing on the importance of functional foods and their secondary metabolites for human health, this volume presents new insights with scientific evidence on the use of functional foods in the treatment of certain diseases. The plants covered and their bioactive compounds are easily accessible and are believed to be effective with fewer side effects in comparison with modern drugs in the treatment of different diseases. The plants contain chemical compounds that can modify and modulate biological systems, eliciting therapeutic effects. Some plants and derived products mentioned include black carrot, olive oil, citrus peel, grapes, candy leaf, cereals and grains, and green and black tea.
The volume is divided into four sections that cover these topics:
- Functional foods for human health: the available sources, biochemistry, structural composition, and different biological activities, especially antioxidant activity.
- Pharmacological aspects of fruits and vegetables: the extraction of bioactive molecules, phytochemistry, and biological activities of a selection of plants.
- Pharmacological aspects of natural products: bioactive compounds, structural attributes, bioactivity of anthocyanin, piceatannol, and a review of the ethnobotany and medicinal properties of green and black tea.
- Pharmacological aspects of cereals and grains: the health benefits of flaxseed, wheatgrass juice, and use and therapeutic potential as supplements for disease management.
Part 1: Functional Foods for Human Health
1. Functional Foods: Concepts and Their Health Perspectives
Aamir Shehzad et al.
2. Plant-Based Functional Foods for Human Nutrition: Current Trends, Future Perspectives, and Phytochemical Attributes
Muhammad Sohaib, Ayesha Zafar, and Azmat Ullah Khan
3. Natural or Synthetic Antioxidants in Foods
Tosin Michael Olajide et al.
Part 2: Pharmacological Aspects of Fruits and Vegetables
4. Heath Benefits of Anthocyanins in Black Carrot (Daucus carota)
Iahtisham-Ul-Haq et al.
5. Olive Oil Phenols: Chemistry, Synthesis, Metabolism, Fats, and their Allied Health Claims
Muhammad Imran et al.
6. Phytochemicals from Citrus Peel: Perspectives and Allied Health Claims
Humaira Ashraf et al.
7. Phytochemistry of Grapes (Vitis vinifera L.): Functional and Nutraceutical Attributes
Hafiz Ansar Rasul Suleria et al.
Part 3: Pharmacological Aspects of Natural Products
8. Piceatannol: A Review of Natural Sources, Extraction Methods, and Biological Activities
Juliane Viganó et al.
9. Plant-Based Neurotoxins: Impact on Neural Pathologies
Seema Patel et al.
10. Health Benefits of Candy Leaf (Stevia rebaudiana): Physiological and Pharmacological Actions
Zubaria Ishaq et al.
Part 4: Pharmacological Aspects of Cereals, Grains, and Tea
11. Wheatgrass Juice: A Nutritional Weapon against Various Maladies
Tabussam Tufail et al.
12. Flaxseed: Shield against Life-Style-Related Maladies
Huma Bader-Ul-Ain et al.
13. Green Tea for Human Health Benefits: Phytonutrients and their Therapeutic Potential
Faiza Ashfaq et al.
14. Black Tea Polyphenols: Health-Endorsing Perspectives, a Mechanistic Appraisal
Ali Imran et al.