Nanofluids are solid-liquid composite material consisting of solid nanoparticles suspended in liquid with enhanced thermal properties. This book introduces basic fluid mechanics, conduction and convection in fluids, along with nanomaterials for nanofluids, property characterization, and outline applications of nanofluids in solar technology, machining and other special applications. Recent experiments on nanofluids have indicated significant increase in thermal conductivity compared with liquids without nanoparticles or larger particles, strong temperature dependence of thermal conductivity, and significant increase in critical heat flux in boiling heat transfer, all of which are covered in the book.
- Exclusive title focusing on niche engineering applications of nanofluids
- Contains high technical content especially in the areas of magnetic nanofluids and dilute oxide based nanofluids
- Feature examples from research applications such as solar technology and heat pipes
- Addresses heat transfer and thermodynamic features such as efficiency and work with mathematical rigor
- Focused in content with precise technical definitions and treatment