A Guide for Parents
A Guide for Parents
Discover an important source of practical and understandable advice for parents of children with anger management issues!
Your Angry Child: A Guide for Parents was created to provide parents of angry children and teenagers with an up-to-date understanding of the “whys” and “hows” of anger problems. You’ll find specific, focused ways of helping angry children and managing the difficulties that anger causes—some brand new, some time-tested. Written by a psychologist with over 30 years of experience treating troubled and severely behaviorally disordered youth and 20 years experience as a forensic psychologist, this book provides practical and understandable advice that parents can make use of immediately.
This insightful book presents up-to-date case histories, current research, and practical, down-to-earth techniques that can help parents of children and adolescents with anger problems. Extraordinarily useful for parents, this book is also an ideal adjunct to counseling and psychotherapy and an essential reference for teachers, pediatricians and family practice physicians, students of psychology, corrections officers, and others who work with angry/violent youth.
The first chapters of Your Angry Child: A Guide for Parents provide a thoughtful introduction to child development concepts and the development of anger, examining how hostility and aggression impact the family and illustrating the effects of resistance and oppositional behavior. Next, the book focuses specifically on practical aspects of anger management, including:
- attachment issues
- antisocial behavior
- anger’s impact on temperament, development, moral reasoning, and the thinking process in general
- indicators of anger problems, such as temper tantrums, cruelty to animals, and fire setting
- the effect of the media on violent tendencies in children
- ADHD, oppositional defiant disorder, and other conduct disorders
- mood disorders, including suicidal feelings and depression
- links between anger and substance abuse
- problem solving
- the power of strong values and positive role models for angry youth
- and much more!