In the rebuilding of the Abbey Church in 1900 a line of foundations was found running south from the south choir aisle. The trenches VI a to VI e were dug to test points of difficulty relating to the Abbey church from the 12th century to the 16th. Each trench also produced somewhat unexpected evidence of considerable pre-Benedictine activity. Trench VI a, which aimed to examine the junction of the north wall of the chapter house with the east wall of the east range was unfortunately full of negative evidence. The deposits below the level of the chapter house wall must be taken to be pre-Benedictine for they form a continuous sequence from the natural sand up to gravel and clay. The complex nature of the pre-medieval deposits firmly so dated by the construction trench for the east foundations which cuts them is seen on section South transept (ST).