The Horden Colliery is situated in the south east of the Durham coalfield. This was the last part of the coalfield to be developed. While most of the pits in Durham were sunk in the mid nineteenth century, Horden first drew coals in 1904 and it is one of the few pits in the North East sunk in this century. Blackhall, to the South, and Easington and Dawdon to the North were sunk at the same time. In the inter-war period Horden, under the control of the Horden Coal Company, emerged as the largest mine in Britain with three shafts and an extensive surface operation involving a washery, brick works and coke works.