Musical life in Glasgow in the 1840s was becoming increasingly lively. Chopin's concert took place in the Merchants' Hall. The demand for venues for musical events led to the erection in Glasgow of the City Hall, designed by the architect George Murray, to be followed by the Queen's Rooms, by Charles Wilson. The weather was good, and the Prince and Princess travelled to Glasgow by train, bringing with them their son Marcel, then seven years old or so, and 'growing into a fine boy'. The night before Chopin was due to perform in Glasgow, Ludovic and Ann Houston apparently entertained two sisters at Johnstone Castle. The Merchants' Hall was set in the City and County Buildings in Wilson Street, an entire block which originally incorporated the county offices and sheriff court; the architects, chosen in 1841 after a competition, were William Clark and George Bell.