Hands-On Overview: Part I
The definition of practice = ACCURATE REPETITION. Develop your teaching skills while practicing: Observe, Analyze and Critique your performance.
1. Visual analysis-use a mirror often and check:
• embouchure appearance
• hand position/guide position (keep fingers close to the keys)
• body position (practice standing and sitting)
2. Aural analysis-listen carefully and check:
• tone quality
• articulation (attack and release)
• intonation (use a tuner for aural reference)
Practicing the Student/Teacher Duets (see pp. 187-213) with an advanced player will assist in the development of one’s skills in aural analysis.