The eighth edition of this highly-praised textbook has been substantially updated and revised to provide students of British studies with the perfect introduction to Britain, its country and people, politics and government, education, economy, media, arts and religion. It includes:
- discussion of recent developments and areas of topical interest in British society such as immigration, the recession, devolution and the Scottish Referendum and Britain’s relationships with the US and the EU
- coverage of the 2015 general election and its implications for the future
- new full-colour illustrations
- exercises and questions to stimulate class discussion
- insights into the attitudes of British people today towards important issues
- updated suggestions for further reading and useful websites.
Supported by a fully updated companion website (found at www.routledge.com/cw/oakland) featuring further exercises, quiz questions, an interactive timeline, links to relevant articles and videos online and tutor guidance, British Civilization is a vital introduction to the crucial and complex identities of Britain past and present.