Designed to engage, inspire and challenge students while laying out the fundamentals of the craft, Principles of American Journalism introduces readers to the core values of journalism and its singular role in a democracy. From the First Amendment to Facebook, the new and revised edition of this popular textbook provides a comprehensive exploration of the guiding principles of journalism and what makes it unique:
- the profession's ethical and legal foundations;
- its historical and modern precepts;
- the economic landscape of journalism;
- the relationships among journalism and other social institutions;
- the key issues and challenges that contemporary journalists face.
Case studies, exercises, and an interactive companion website encourage critical thinking about journalism and its role in society, making students more mindful practitioners of journalism and more informed media consumers.