chapter  1
3 Philadelphia, PA: University of Pennsylvania Penn Connects
Pages 14

Founded by Benjamin Franklin in 1740, the University of Pennsylvania (Penn) is a venerable institution of higher education located on Philadelphia’s west bank of the Schuylkill River. From the school’s first Whitefield Chapel building in Old City Philadelphia, the “Academy and Charitable School” has become a major education and research magnet serving over 20,000 national and international students. The Ivy League school currently occupies its third campus location, now across the Schuylkill River from Center City Philadelphia with constantly evolving boundaries. When Penn moved to West Philadelphia in 1871, it acquired 10 acres of land. Over the last 144 years, the university has grown to include nearly 300 acres (Kocent and Sehnert, 2014). Today, “University City” is located where the ordered grid of the city and lush campus quadrangles coalesce into an enlivened precinct abutting Center City’s westward trajectory.1