This textbook presents essential and accessible information about human embryology including practical information on human health issues and recent advances in human reproductive technology. Starting with biological basics of cell anatomy and fertilization, the author moves through the development of specific organs and systems, before addressing social issues associated with embryology. Each chapter includes specific objectives, general background, study questions, and questions to inspire critical thinking. Human Life Before Birth also contains two appendices and a full glossary of terms covered in the text. Clinicians and researchers in this field will find this volume indispensable.
Key selling features:
- Explores all the developmental and embryological events that occur in human emryonic and fetal life
- Reviews basic cell biology, genetics, and reproduction focusing entirely on humans
- Summarizes the development of various anatomical systems
- Examines common birth defects and sexually transmitted diseases including emerging concerns such as Zika
- Documents assisted fertilization technologies and various cultural aspects of reproduction