Learn what resources are needed for lesser-recognized LGBT health issues
Most literature that explores LGBT health issues concentrates on HIV/AIDS while leaving research studies on other vital issues lacking. Current Issues in Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health addresses this inadequacy by presenting a broad range of LGBT health issues from an interdisciplinary and mixed-method perspective. Leading experts present both quantitative and qualitative descriptions of health issues among various population groups, focusing on those topics poorly represented in present-day literature. This book is a strong start to fill in the blanks about unrealized health issues of LGBT individuals and offers insights into the resources needed to address them.
Methods to assess sexual orientation and gender identity are not normally found in most population-based research. Because of the diversity within the relatively small LGBT population, research has been forced to generalize, making it less likely to effectively contribute to quality health issue data for these individuals. The research presented in Current Issues in Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health takes particular care to specify how the orientation and sexual identity of study participants was measured. This book carefully mines previously unrevealed health disparities among LGBT populations across a broad spectrum of diseases—beyond the standard focus on HIV/AIDS. The most current and important studies are presented, including rare research on transgender health issues. The chapters are extensively referenced, and several include figures and tables to clarify and enhance understanding of the information.
The wide range of topics in Current Issues in Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health include:
- the inclusion of sexual orientation questions in research studies
- comparison of mental health issues between women of different sexual orientations
- mental health issues among men of different sexual orientations and HIV status in Australia
- the impact of sexual identity distress and social support in GLBT youth issues
- transgender youth health issues
- female-to-male (FTM) transexuals’ experiences accessing health care
- research on LBT domestic violence survivors
- health needs of male-to-female (MTF) transgenders of color