A Practical Guide to Teaching Physical Education in the Secondary School is written for all student teachers on university and school-based initial teacher education courses. It offers a wealth of tried and tested strategies together with practical activities and materials to support both your teaching and your pupils’ learning. It is designed for you to dip in and out of, to enable you to focus on specific areas of teaching or foci on your course.
This second edition is fully updated with the most recent research and developments in the field and includes brand new chapters. Key topics covered include:
- Understanding your own views about your subjectNEW
- Lesson planning and schemes of work
- Physical Education and Key Skills
- Using ICT
- Cross-curricular teaching and learningNEW
- Safe practice, risk assessment and risk management
- Applying theories of learning to your practice
- Helping pupils meet intended learning outcomesNEW
- Promoting positive behaviourNEW
- Overcoming barriers and maximising the achievement of all pupilsNEW
- Assessing learning
- Working with others
- Reflective practice and action research.
Photocopiable resources offer easy assistance in lesson observation, planning, preparation, delivery and evaluation. An annotated further reading section at the end of each chapter provides advice about selection of the best resources on the web and elsewhere.
Illustrated throughout with examples of existing good practice, this highly practical resource offers valuable support and inspiration to all student teachers as well as those in the early years of their teaching career.
A Practical Guide to Teaching Physical Education in the Secondary School, 2nd edition is a companion to Learning to Teach Physical Education in the Secondary School, 3rd edition and can be used to reinforce the basic teaching skills covered in that core textbook. The book can also be used equally successfully on its own.