Now in its third edition Shakespeare: The Basics is an insightful and informative introduction to the work of William Shakespeare. Exploring all aspects of Shakespeare’s plays including the language, cultural contexts, and modern interpretations, this text looks at how a range of plays from across the genres have been understood. Updates in this edition include:
- Ecocritical, queer, presentist and gendered discussions of Shakespeare’s work
- Studies of new performances including Tennant and Tate’s Much Ado About Nothing
- Critical discussions of race and politics in Othello and King Lear
- Case studies of modern film versions of Shakespeare’s works
- A chronology of Shakespeare’s work and contemporary events
With fully updated further reading throughout and a wide range of case studies and examples, this text is essential reading for all those studying Shakespeare’s work.