chapter  5
6 Pages


The transfer of the premises from the contractor to the client is sometimes called ‘handover’ by which the client ‘accepts’ or ‘receives’ the works. In this book the term ‘delivery’ is used. In building contract terminology in the UK the term for delivery is ‘Practical Completion’. The architect may issue a ‘Certificate of Practical Completion’ at this moment: ‘When in the opinion of the Architect Practical Completion of the works is achieved, he shall forthwith issue a certificate to that effect’, as stated in the standard JCT 80 Contract. In the US the term is ‘Certificate of Substantial Completion’. Other national terms are given in Part Two.