'British Studies' and 'British Cultural Studies' cover a wide range of facets of contemporary Britain. Studying British Cultures: An Introduction is a unique collection of essays which examine the most significant aspects of this quickly developing area of study, analyzing the ways of teaching and reading British culture.
The work covers the contemporary and key issues, including:
- the terminological distinction between 'British Studies' and 'British Cultural Studies'
- the problem of national cultures and identities in contemporary Britain
- studying language and literature from a British Studies perspective
- models for studying the historical context of the development of ideas of `Britishness'
- studying contemporary Britain overseas
The contributors are some of the key names in current debates surrounding British Studies, and Susan Bassnett holds together their work with a substantial and accessible introduction. Studying British Cultures: An Introduction will be essential reading for students and teachers concerned with the study of contemporary Britain.