Painful Exclusion: Hepatitis C in the New Zealand Hemophilia Community
New Zealanders with hemophilia in the early 1990s were shocked to discover that their life-giving donated blood products had been contaminated with hepatitis C (HCV or hep C). Coming soon after their devastating experience with HIV-infected blood products, it was a cruel blow. For some of those infected it would lead to liver cirrhosis, liver cancer, and premature death. For all who were possibly infected it caused anxiety for themselves and loved ones, and uncertainty about the course their lives would now take.