chapter
1 Pages

Masters of the Court of Wards

The Court of Wards and Liveries, which originated in the sixteenth century, was independent of the Exchequer and was responsible for administering the profits produced by the king’s feudal rights to wardship. The Master controlled an office which included a Receiver General, a Surveyor, an Attorney and several auditors and clerks. Highly unpopular, the court was abolished in 1646.