chapter
1 Pages

Resources in Banking and Finance in the Lippincott Library

University

Lippincott Library serves the needs of the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. The first institution in the nation to pro­ vide academic education in business, the School was founded in 1881 by Joseph Wharton, a Philadelphia industrialist and metallur­ gist. From its inception it has provided instruction in the liberal arts as well as in finance, commerce, industry, and various aspects of applied economics. The curriculum has expanded and become in­ creasingly more diversified, specialized, and interdisciplinary over the years. Instruction in finance and banking was a primary teaching emphasis of the School since its founding; it was called the Wharton School of Finance and Commerce until the name was shortened in 1971. In 1921 a two-year program was initiated, with course offer­ ings leading to the degree of Master of Business Administration. This year the School's enrollment is 1,770 graduate and 1,900 undergraduate students. About 70 % of MBA candidates are finance majors. Lippincott Library was founded in 1927 through the initiative of

Dr. Ermory R. Johnson, then Dean ofthe Wharton School. It is now located in the first three floors of the Van Pelt Library Building at 36th and Walnuts Streets in West Philadelphia. The establishment of the library was made possible through a generous gift from the late Joanna Wharton Lippincott, daughter of Joseph Wharton. Miss