Case study 2: gifted education in an inner- city multi- ethnic comprehensive school
St Etheldreda’s was founded in 1699, which makes it one of the oldest girls’ secondary schools in the country. In 1928 the school moved to its present home in South West London. Its Local Authority (LA) is in the top four LAs in the country for ‘value added’ results. It is an EiC area. St Etheldreda’s is a fully comprehensive Church of England Voluntary Aided High School, and Technology College status was awarded in 1996. The school has a Sportsmark Award and Investor in People (IIP) status. It is also a Lead Practitioner School for Equality and Inclusion. It opened a sixth form in 2003. There are 759 students on roll, which makes the school smaller than other secondary schools nationally.