chapter  28
Hysteroscopic morcellation
ByCharles E Miller
Pages 5

Abnormal uterine bleeding is one of the most common gynecologic complaints in contemporary gynecology. It has been reported that 30% of all premenopausal women perceive their menses to be in excess. Recently, the World Health Organization stated that 18 million women aged 30-55 years old perceive their menstrual bleeding to be exorbitant. Interestingly, 10% of these women experience blood loss severe enough to be clinically defined as menorrhagia. Approximately one-third of this population will have intracavitary lesions. The majority of these cases (90%) will have endometrial polyps or submucous myomas <3 cm in diameter. In the remaining 10% of cases, submucous myomas with deep intramural involvement or diameter >3 cm will be noted.