Saving a Shire:
The Nyah Irrigation District is located on the Victorian banks of the River Murray, approximately 30 km north-west of Swan Hill. The District covers an area of some 1560 ha and includes the townships of Nyah and Vinifera. The district has a population of some 1800, of which 530 reside in Nyah West and 360 in Nyah. In terms of overall numbers, the population is more or less static. However, there are indications that it is an ageing population, with 28 per cent of both the total population and the number of landholders being over 55 years of age.