The Journal of Accountancy
In a booklet of eighty-seven typewritten pages, nicely bound and distributed to his chosen friends, Mr. T. Edward Ross and those associated with him in the effort, made a contribution of great value to the history of accountancy in Pennsylvania. The occasion for the compilation of this attractive little volume was the celebration of the twenty-fifth anniversary of the Pennsylvania Institute. The earliest record that can be found of any effort to organize the profession of the accountant in Pennsylvania seems to be in 1886, when Mr. Francis had several conferences at his office with Messrs. Heins, Vollum and Brown looking to a plan of organization for their mutual protection and benefit. The plan was to organize a society and to seek a charter as an educational institution, under Pennsylvania law. The society was to be called “The Chartered Accountants’ Institute.”.