Institute of Far Eastern Languages at Yale University
Army Specialized Training Program (ASTP) was created by the United States government in response to a national emergency during World War II. When the ASTP mission was accomplished at the end of 1945, the team at Yale was not large, and the only person on that team who was a member of the Yale faculty was George Kennedy. The Yale Chinese Language School, which in 1946 was renamed the Institute of Chinese Language and Literature, and in 1947 was incorporated into the Institute of Far Eastern Languages and lasted until 1965. Enclosed within the magnificent Yale University where tenure for those who qualify was the norm, the staff in Institute of Far Eastern Languages (IFEL) – a self-supporting autonomous adjunct unit – were appointed year by year. IFEL was founded and sustained for two decades by a group of former missionaries and Chinese scholars brought together by the forces of history.