The chapter discusses the early curriculum of Carnegie College during an era in which gymnastics and physical training were synonymous, and it focuses in particular on the curriculum for the 1937- 1938 academic year. It provides some insights into curriculum developments in one centrally important college of physical training for men from its inception in the 1930s through to the 1970s. In 1947 the College changed its name from the Carnegie Physical Training College to the Carnegie College of Physical Education. Connell noted that the use of the term physical education was intended to reflect the widening of the curriculum and to put some distance between its configuration after the Second World War and the older, pre-war drilling and exercising form of the subject. The 1950s was the decade in which male physical educators in England, in parallel with their American counterparts, began a long quest to raise the academic standing of the subject in higher education.