chapter  6
6 Pages

Mental health report for Bhutan

WithArun Kandasamy, Pooja H. Shetty

Gross National Happiness (GNH), as a philosophy and concept was first articulated in Bhutan by the Fourth King, His Majesty Jigme Singye Wangchuck in 1972 and proposed a unique objective measure of Quality of Life. The concept was operationalized in the form of the GNH Index. This has nine dimensions and 33 indicators. The 33 indicators are grouped under the following dimensions (Ura et al., 2012a):

1. Psychological well-being, 4 2. Health, 4 3. Time use, 2 4. Education, 4 5. Cultural diversity and resilience, 4 6. Good governance, 4 7. Community vitality, 4 8. Ecological diversity and resilience, 4 9. Living standards 3

Total 33

In a 2010 survey developed by the Centre for Bhutan Studies, the GNH Index value is 0.743 and shows that overall, 40.9 per cent of Bhutanese are identified as happy (meaning they are extensively or deeply happy), and the remaining 59.1 per cent enjoy sufficiency in 56.6 per cent of the domains on average (Ura et al., 2012b).