The Science of Judo is the first book to set out and discuss the science, coaching and history behind judo performance. Evidence-based and informed by the latest research, the book offers practical guidance on preparing athletes for high performance and understanding the core tenets of sport science underpinning it.
Featuring contributions from world-leading experts, the book consists of chapters on all aspects of judo performance, including:
- The historical development of judo and its physical, intellectual and moral role
- Physical preparation for competition, coaching and training strategies
- Skill acquisition, talent identification and development
- Nutrition and lifestyle of judoka
- Performance analysis and biomechanics
- Injury epidemiology and prevention
- Special considerations for female and young judoka
Clearly written and accessible, The Science of Judo provides upper-level students and researchers, and coaches and sport science staff working with judoka, with the most thorough and authoritative reference on sport science applied to judo currently available.