Practical Handbook of Microbiology, 4th edition provides basic, clear and concise knowledge and practical information about working with microorganisms. Useful to anyone interested in microbes, the book is intended to especially benefit four groups: trained microbiologists working within one specific area of microbiology; people with training in other disciplines, and use microorganisms as a tool or "chemical reagent"; business people evaluating investments in microbiology focused companies; and an emerging group, people in occupations and trades that might have limited training in microbiology, but who require specific practical information.
- Provides a comprehensive compendium of basic information on microorganisms—from classical microbiology to genomics.
- Includes coverage of disease-causing bacteria, bacterial viruses (phage), and the use of phage for treating diseases, and added coverage of extremophiles.
- Features comprehensive coverage of antimicrobial agents, including chapters on anti-fungals and anti-virals.
- Covers the Microbiome, gene editing with CRISPR, Parasites, Fungi, and Animal Viruses.
- Adds numerous chapters especially intended for professionals such as healthcare and industrial professionals, environmental scientists and ecologists, teachers, and businesspeople.
- Includes comprehensive survey table of Clinical, Commercial, and Research-Model bacteria.
The Open Access version of this book, available at https://www.taylorfrancis.com, has been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial-No Derivatives 4.0 license.
Chapter 21, "Archaea," of this book is freely available as a downloadable Open Access PDF under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial-No Derivatives 4.0 license available at https://www.taylorfrancis.com
See Emanuel Goldman's Open Access article: "Lamarck redux and other false arguments against SARS-CoV-2 vaccination," https://www.embopress.org/doi/full/10.15252/embr.202254675
TABLE OF CONTENTS
part Part I|158 pages
Practical Information and Procedures
part Part II|586 pages
Survey of Microorganisms
part Part III|162 pages
Applied Practical Microbiology