Topographic Laser Ranging and Scanning, Second Edition, provides a comprehensive discussion of topographic LiDAR principles, systems, data acquisition, and data processing techniques. This edition presents an introduction and summary of various LiDAR systems and their principles and addresses the operational principles of the different components and ranging methods of LiDAR systems. It discusses the subsequent geometric processing of LiDAR data, with particular attention to quality, accuracy, and meeting standards and addresses the theories and practices of information extraction from LiDAR data, including terrain surface generation, forest inventory, orthoimage generation, building reconstruction, and road extraction.
Written by leaders in the field, this comprehensive compilation is a must-have reference book for senior undergraduate and graduate students majoring or working in diverse disciplines, such as geomatics, geodesy, natural resources, urban planning, computer vision, and computer graphics. It is also vital resource for researchers who are interested in developing new methods and need in-depth knowledge of laser scanning and data processing and other professionals may gain the same from the broad topics addressed in this book.
New in the Second Edition:
- A comprehensive array of new laser ranging and scanning technologies.
- Developments in LiDAR data format and processing techniques.
- Regrouping of surface modeling, representations and reconstruction.
- Enhanced discussions on the principles and fundamentals beyond small-footprint pulsed laser systems and new application examples.
- Many new examples and illustrations.