Stay up-to-date with this important contribution to rationalized botanical medicine
The Handbook of Medicinal Plants explores state-of-the-art developments in the field of botanical medicine. Nineteen experts from around the world provide vital information on natural products and herbal medicines—from their earliest relevance in various cultures to today’s cutting-edge biotechnologies. Educated readers, practitioners, and academics of natural sciences will benefit from the text’s rich list of references as well as numerous tables, figures, and color photographs and illustrations.
The Handbook of Medicinal Plants is divided into three main sections. The first section covers the use of herbal medicines throughout history in China, Australia, the Americas, the Middle East, and the Mediterranean, emphasizing the need for future medicinal plant research. The second section discusses the latest technologies in production and breeding, crop improvement, farming, and plant research. The third section focuses on groundbreaking advances in the medicinal application of therapeutic herbs.
In the Handbook of Medicinal Plants, you will gain new knowledge about:
- recent research and development in Chinese herbal medicine
- modern methods of evaluating the efficacy of medicinal plants by “screening”
- the newest developments of in vitro cultivation
- prevention and therapy of cancer and other diseases using medicinal plants
- the challenges and threats to medicinal plant research today
- trends in phytomedicine in the new millennium