This work combines a study of contemporary issues in tourism development with a close examination of approaches to tourism research. Looking beyond the much-studied mass tourism industries, leading international academics who are members of the International Academy for the Study of Tourism, explore new issues raised by emerging tourist destinations such as Ghana, Samoa, Vietnam and India's Bhyundar Valley.
A fascinating work, Contemporary Issues in Tourism Development discusses a wide range of topics such as:
* reasons for development
* tourism development as a strategy for urban revitalization
* tourism’s links to heritage conservation and regional development
* sustainability and the adverse impacts of development
* cultural considerations and community participation
* the importance of context for individual tourism projects.