Tourism can be a challenging subject for students because it is both dynamic and susceptible to economic turbulence and shifts in trends. Tourism: A Modern Synthesis is an essential textbook for tourism students seeking a clear and comprehensive introduction to their studies that addresses these challenges. The authors apply a business approach to the subject, reflecting developments in the teaching and content of university courses, and the text covers both key principles and contemporary themes and issues at a global scale.
Among the new features and topics included in this fifth edition are:
- New and fully updated case studies to reflect current trends and emerging markets including Africa and Asia.
- Up-to-date content on disruptive technologies such as Airbnb, low-cost airlines, the e-travel revolution and future developments.
- Current debates in sustainable tourism including the anti-tourism movement, plastic use and the Sustainable Development Goals.
- New content on evolving topics such as future employment, human resource management in tourism and generational marketing.
- Fully updated statistics and data.
- A brand-new Companion Website including an instructor’s manual, supplementary case studies, weblinks, multiple choice questions and PowerPoint slides.
This is the ideal guide to tourism for students across all levels, serving as a point of reference throughout a programme of study.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
part 1|92 pages
part 2|149 pages
Understanding the tourism industry
part 3|110 pages
Managing tourist operations and communicating with the visitor
part 4|88 pages
The impact of tourism
part 5|87 pages
Trends and themes in the use of tourist resources
part 6|79 pages
Managing tourism activities