The International Handbook of Teacher Quality and Policy is a comprehensive resource that examines how teacher quality is conceptualized, negotiated, and contested, and teacher policies are developed and implemented by global, national, and local policy actors. Edited by two of the leading comparative authorities in the field, it draws on the research and contributions of scholars from across the globe to explore five central questions:
- How has teacher quality been conceptualized from various disciplinary and theoretical perspectives?
- How are global and transnational policy actors and networks influencing teacher policies and practices?
- What are the perspectives and experiences of teachers in local policy contexts?
- What do comparative research studies tell us about teachers and how their work and policy contexts influence their teaching?
- How have various countries implemented policies aimed at improving teacher quality and how have these policies influenced teachers and students?
The international contributors represent a wide variety of scholars who identify global dynamics influencing policy discourses on teacher quality, and examine national and local teaching and policy environments influencing teacher policy development and implementation in various countries. Divided into five sections, the book brings together the latest conceptual and empirical studies on teacher quality and teacher policies to inform future policy directions for recruiting, educating, and supporting the teaching profession.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
section I|91 pages
Disciplinary and Theoretical Perspectives on Teacher Quality
section II|123 pages
Transnational Teacher Policy and Practice
section III|79 pages
Perspectives and Experiences of Teachers in Policy Contexts
section IV|124 pages
Comparative Research on Teachers and Their Work Contexts
chapter 23|14 pages
Effects of Job Motives, Teacher Knowledge, and School Context on Beginning Teachers’ Commitment to Stay in the Profession
section V|49 pages
Teacher Policy, Implementation Process, and Impacts